Keep Your Children Safe This Halloween
Halloween is a fun time for children and adults alike. However, there are many precautions to keep in mind in order to enjoy the holiday safely.
The following are just a few general tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t let children wear baggy or long costumes, as they’re difficult to walk in and can create tripping hazards. Place reflective tape on your children’s costumes and candy buckets if they are going trick-or-treating at night.
- Select face makeup and paint that is labelled as “non-toxic” to prevent health issues.
- Remind children to only walk on the sidewalk and look both ways before crossing the street. Don’t allow children under 12 years old to go trick-or-treating by themselves.
- Remind children to never approach or get into a car with a stranger offering them candy.
- Inspect your children’s candy once they return home.
- Carve pumpkins on a flat surface and with good lighting.
- Use a pumpkin-carving kit that includes tools appropriate for the task.
- Place lit jack-o’-lanterns away from other flammable objects such as sheets and curtains.
- If you live near busy roads, consider only allowing your children to trick-or-treat during the day.